Reporting to the Director of Teaching and Learning, the Special Education Teacher will be responsible for co-teaching a class of 25 students. He or she will collaboratively develop curriculum and activities along with assessments that measure progress toward the academic standards of Global Community Charter School (GCCS). The Classroom Teacher is also responsible for establishing and maintaining classrooms where whole group and small group instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work engage students, keep classes focused, and infuse a lasting desire to learn in all.
- Coordinate with co-teacher and Grade Level Team to plan and implement instructional units which meet program requirements in English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science and which adhere to New York State Learning Standards, Common Core, and International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP) philosophy
- Differentiates instruction for students as integral aspect of planning and teaching and understands Workshop Model in design of instruction.
- Provides an inviting, innovative and exciting learning environment.Implements a concept-based, constructivist classroom while guiding foundational skill development.
- Demonstrates skills and strategies in effective and appropriate classroom management.
- Evaluates and tracks student progress and has successful experience with meeting school goals regarding annual student performance in NYSED Assessments.
- Utilizes formal and informal assessments and varied data to plan instructional program.
- Forms meaningful relationships with families and involves parents in their children’s’ education.
- Responds favorably to feedback regarding instruction and classroom performance.
- Performs other instructional duties, as deemed appropriate by the Head of School and Director of Teaching and Learning.
- As Special Education teacher, ensures that Individualized Education Program (IEP) requirements are taught and evaluated for results.
- Ensures that accommodations are followed and in place for designated students.
- Adheres to the school’s policies and procedures for student conduct.
Qualification, Skills, and Knowledge Requirements
- Must have NYSED certification in Special Education/Students with Disabilities
- Minimum of three years of successful, full-time teaching experience in an urban school setting.
- Master's Degree in Education a plus
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP) experience a plus
- Understands the challenge and opportunities of working with urban youth.
- Bilingual ability in English and Spanish is desired.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
GLOBAL COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL is firmly committed to equal employment opportunity. The School does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices for all qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability (including AIDS), marital status, military status, citizenship status, predisposing genetic characteristics, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law. Employment decisions at the GLOBAL COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL will be made in a non-discriminatory manner and are based on qualifications, abilities, and merit. This policy governs all aspects of employment at this School including recruitment, hiring, assignments, training, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, compensation, employee benefits, discipline, and other terms and conditions of employment.